Teacher, Head Start Assistant
Catholic Charities is looking for Head Start Assistant Teachers for our child care centers in Denver, CO.
Assists with the planning, organizing, implementing, and delivering of a developmentally appropriate program based on the individual and group educational, social, and emotional potential of the children participating in their classroom. Assists in managing the classroom environment, provides input and observation concerning program participants, and interacts with parents and other resource staff to provide a supportive environment for children and families.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the planning and implementation of developmentally appropriate daily activities that stimulate learning in all developmental areas (physical, emotional, social, and cognitive) through utilizing appropriate classroom management techniques and adhering to Colorado State Licensing Regulations
- Assists in the organization and maintenance of classroom materials and equipment.
- Assists with and accompanies children on field trips and during extracurricular activities.
- Participates in the preparation, setup, serving, and cleanup of meals and snacks.
- Collects accurate and timely information on enrolled children through observation and work samples and may assist in using this information to plan for the individual child and to document growth.
- Develops positive relationships with parents and families of each child
- Orients substitute teacher and other staff members in the absence of regular teacher.
- Administers first aid and/or medication (with appropriate training) and/or attends to medical devices as needed.
- Prepares and submits program statistics, internal and external reports and documents in accordance with federal, state and local regulations, guidelines and operating standards.
- Ensures that the classroom is safe, clean and orderly.
- Takes direction from Teacher regarding classroom organization and management.
- Covers for teacher in absence if appropriate.
- Provides crisis intervention including, but not limited to, child abuse reporting.
- Ensures safe environment by following safety rules.
- Reflects Catholic Charities’ commitment to treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Catholic Charities’ vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Uses creativity and innovation in program development and service delivery.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and agency information.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Must comply with all Colorado State Licensing requirements.
- Able to effectively manage a classroom of children
- Effective interpersonal communication skills with children, parents and co-workers
- Ability to remember schedules, programs, policies, and other details.
- Ability to remain calm and calm others in an emergency and/or confrontational situation.
- Knowledge of the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and the appropriate techniques and practices for the client population.
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with Agency staff and with a diverse client base.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Child Development Associate (CDA) and two years experience working with preschool children in a group setting.
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position.
Hours are Monday- Friday.
Experience working with preschoolers preferred.
Preschool CDA and ECT (formerly group leader) preferred.
Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.
Pre-employment drug screen required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, Catholic Charities makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship, the presence of any physical or mental disability of someone otherwise qualified, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects application procedures, hiring, advancement, transfers, reductions in force, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Job Status: Full Time