Shelter Associate (Marisol Home)
Catholic Charities is looking for Shelter Associates for a homeless shelter for women and children living at Marisol Homes in Denver, CO. There are full-time and part-time positions available.
Provide safety, shelter, crisis intervention, resources, and advocacy for homeless women and children in a residential group living shelter.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide crisis intervention and milieu management to provide a safe, stable and positive environment.
- Adhere to and enforce shelter rules
- Ensure that house schedule is followed (including keeping with meal times and TV schedule).
- Answer phone calls including crisis calls and return all messages left.
- Provide information, referral, and advocacy to shelter residents and crisis callers.
- Complete all required paperwork accurately and timely (to include maintaining resident family files and logs on a daily basis).
- Orient new residents to shelter and explain house rules.
- Work with Case Manager to support and implement the case management plan with shelter residents.
- Update and notify the residents about resources that are available to them.
- Participate in providing feedback and assessments for all families.
- Monitors parental supervision of children, inclusive of the meal times and the evening family recreation period, provide guidance on effective parenting techniques as appropriate.
- Monitor and check daily chores.
- Perform room checks and hold residents accountable to the regulations and polices of the state and the Fr. Ed Judy House.
- Responsible for completing discharge procedures and helping keep the occupancy roster updated.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly supervisions as scheduled.
- Participate in the maintenance of the house, report all maintenance, food, and supply needs to the supervisor promptly.
- Prepare or support the residents in the preparation of meals.
- Complete safety check at start of each shift and frequently throughout shift.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Catholic Charities vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Reflects Catholic Charities commitment to treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- Uses creativity and innovation in program development and service delivery.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and agency information.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct tours and speaking engagements as needed.
- Participate in completing inventories and monthly reports.
- Good steward of Agency human, financial and capital resources
- Participates effectively as a team member through communication, cooperation, information sharing and problem solving.
- Participates in staff trainings and programs as required.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the staff office.
- Accept, log, and write thank you notes to the donors and supporters of the Fr. Ed Judy House along with sorting through and managing the items donated.
- Any other tasks or duties as assigned.
- Ability to effectively work with women in crisis situations
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Basic computer skills to enter data, create communications and generate reports
- Knowledge of the service population's cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and the appropriate techniques and practices for the client population.
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with Agency staff and with a diverse client base.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from accredited four-year college or university in psychology, social work or related field; and six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The full-time position is 40 hours per week. The part-time position has a flexible schedule, up to 20 hours per week.
The overnight shift is 12 hours long and allows for employees to sleep during quiet times but remain available should a need arise.
Starting pay is $12 per hour. We offer excellent benefits including low cost medical, dental, and vision, 7+ weeks of paid annual leave, competitive retirement plan match, and more!
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.
Pre-employment drug screen required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, Catholic Charities makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship, the presence of any physical or mental disability of someone otherwise qualified, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects application procedures, hiring, advancement, transfers, reductions in force, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Job Status: Full Time, Part Time, On Call