Catholic Charities is looking for a Grant Accountant to join our Accounting Department in Denver, CO.
Perform a variety of complex accounting duties in the verification, maintenance, reconciliation, and reporting of specialized accounting records. Serve as agency focal point for grant/contract financial reporting and other administrative matters. Establishes and maintains related policies and procedures; provides support to program personnel; and coordinates all grant/contract financial management functions to assure financial compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accounting / Analysis
- Performs complex accounting duties in the preparation of financial documents, records, and reports.
- Researches, calculates, and prepares billings to federal, state, city/county and other agencies.
- Examines accounting data for accuracy, appropriateness and documentation.
- Assists program staff in interpreting laws, rules and regulations, and clarifying procedures.
- Recommends solutions, answers inquiries and provides data for independent auditors and local, state, and federal agencies.
- Monitors expenditures and income related to various program budgets to assure availability of funds.
- Assists program staff in complying with local, state, and federal regulations and monitors timelines to meet required deadlines.
Grants / Contracts
- Coordinate and assist in the preparation and submission of proposals and deliverables with grants writer and the appropriate program and accounting personnel.
- Review financial terms, conditions and other requirements, and provide proposal support to program personnel.
- Function as liaison between agency personnel (program, accounting, development) and grantor/contractor.
- Prepare and distribute monthly/quarterly grant/contract status reports.
- Prepare monthly cash flow forecasts for existing and anticipated grants/contracts.
- Assure adherence to agency policies and procedures and to grant/contract requirements.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Catholic Charities’ vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of advanced nonprofit accounting.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations for nonprofit financial record keeping and reporting especially regarding grant and other donor requirements.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in business and accounting computer systems, and advanced Excel skills.
- Must possess high initiative and be detail oriented.
- Organized and able to work with little supervision.
- Knowledge of the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and the appropriate techniques and practices for the client population.
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with Agency staff and with a diverse client base.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; preferably in business administration, accounting, or related field; and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours a week.
Hours are: Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Grants experience required.
Payroll and Non-Profit experience a plus.
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.
Pre-employment drug screen required
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, Catholic Charities makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, citizenship, the presence of any physical or mental disability of someone otherwise qualified, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects application procedures, hiring, advancement, transfers, reductions in force, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Job Status: Full Time