Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Denver is looking for an Assistant Controller to join the team in Denver, CO.
Perform a variety of complex accounting duties in the verification, maintenance, reconciliation, and reporting of specialized accounting records. Establishes and maintains related policies and procedures; provides support to the Controller and support staff; and coordinates financial management functions to assure financial compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accounting / Analysis
- Performs complex accounting duties in the preparation of financial documents, records, and reports.
- Audits accounting data for accuracy, appropriateness and documentation.
- Assists in monthly close activities, the year-end closing process and annual audit preparation.
- Assists program staff in interpreting laws, rules and regulations, and clarifying procedures.
- Monitors expenditures and income related to various program budgets to assure availability of funds.
- Function as liaison between agency personnel (program, accounting, development) and contractor.
- Prepare and distribute monthly/quarterly status reports.
- Reviews and reconciles cash and account balances; Prepare monthly cash flow forecasts.
- Supports payroll, donations processing, fixed assets and budget process to serve in backup roles and as the subject matter expert.
- Manages the Enterprise Zone and Child Care Tax Credit submission process.
- Responsible to reconcile subledgers to the general ledger.
- Assists in the development of new and existing procedures and processes as needed.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Catholic Charities’ vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of advanced nonprofit accounting.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations for nonprofit financial record keeping and reporting especially regarding grant and other donor requirements.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Strong computer systems skills, including proficiency in business and accounting computer systems, and advanced Excel skills. Serenic system experience highly desirable. Raiser’s Edge experience desirable.
- Must possess high initiative and be detail oriented.
- Organized and able to work with little supervision.
- Knowledge of the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and the appropriate techniques and practices for the client population.
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with Agency staff and with a diverse client base.
No direct supervisory responsibilities. May serve as team leader in certain situations as assigned.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPA, CMA or CIA preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; preferably in business administration, accounting, or related field; and five or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong MS Office suite skills desired. Experience with Serenic systems and Raiser’s Edge desired.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm
Advanced Accounting skills desired
Ability to analyze financials preferred
MS Office experience desired
Ability to support subledgers
Strong skills in auditing and reviewing processes
EZ and CCTC filing experience preferred
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.
Pre-employment drug screen required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, Catholic Charities makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship, the presence of any physical or mental disability of someone otherwise qualified, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects application procedures, hiring, advancement, transfers, reductions in force, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Job Status: Full Time