Archdiocesan Housing Inc., a division of Catholic Charities, is looking for an Accountant to join the team in Denver, CO.
Archdiocesan Housing Inc., a division of Catholic Charities, is committed to the national housing goal of providing quality, safe, and affordable housing for all members of our community. Archdiocesan Housing Inc. welcomes applications from all income-qualified persons without regard to religion, race, sex, color, familial status, handicap, or national origin in accordance with the national Fair Housing Act.
Perform a variety of complex accounting duties in the verification, maintenance, reconciliation, and reporting of specialized accounting records. Maintain accurate books and records for a portfolio of real estate properties. Establishes and maintains related policies and procedures; provides support to AHI and HMS program personnel; and coordinates financial management functions to assure financial compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs complex accounting duties in the preparation of financial documents, records, and reports.
- Examines accounting data for accuracy, appropriateness and documentation.
- Assists program staff in interpreting laws, rules and regulations, and clarifying procedures.
- Monitors expenditures and income related to various program budgets to assure availability of funds.
- Actively participate in the monthly, quarterly and annual accounting close process
- Prepare and analyze various financial schedules for distribution to investors/partners; research and answer related P&L questions.
- Reconciles bank accounts.
- Prepares and enters journal entries for month end close not limited to accruals, amortization, capitalization and true-up entries.
- Reconcile and analyze various general ledger account balances.
- Review accounts receivable and subsidiary ledgers (tenant ledgers) for reasonableness and ensures reporting accuracy.
- Assist in calculating management fees, overhead costs, and cash analysis.
- Reviews accounts payable invoices for accuracy.
- Assists in the analysis and variance explanations for financial statements.
- Communicate with on-site staff to resolve Yardi issues and provide accounting support.
- Assist with the preparation of annual budget and review of final budget.
- Review existing processes for efficiency opportunities and develop new procedures as applicable.
- Assist in maintaining computer-based financial systems, including the general ledger, accounts receivable and accounts payable, and purchasing.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Catholic Charities’ vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Reflects Catholic Charities’ commitment to treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- Uses creativity and innovation in program development and service delivery.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and agency information.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Good steward of Agency human, financial and capital resources
- Participates effectively as a team member through communication, cooperation, information sharing and problem solving.
- Participates in staff trainings and programs as required.
- Any other tasks or duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of advanced accounting including financial statements, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and cash forecasting/planning.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations for housing financial record keeping and reporting including HUD, CHFA, LIHTC, and Fair Housing.
- Ability to read, understand, and analyze financial statements,
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in business and accounting computer systems, and advanced Excel skills.
- Experience in relevant accounting and financial management software, including Yardi.
- Must possess high initiative and be detail oriented.
- Organized and able to work with little supervision.
- Knowledge of the service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and the appropriate techniques and practices for the client population.
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently with Agency staff and with a diverse client base.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; preferably in accounting, finance, or related field; and 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
None required; CPA, CMA or CIA desirable.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm.
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.
Pre-employment drug screen required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, Catholic Charities makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship, the presence of any physical or mental disability of someone otherwise qualified, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our philosophy of doing business and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects application procedures, hiring, advancement, transfers, reductions in force, discharge, compensation, training, or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Job Status: Full Time